Blog
header nmd

New Methods of Digital Payment: A Perspective for 2027

A recent study by the consulting firm Capgemini shed light on interesting insights about the future of payment methods. According to the study, by 2027, digital payment methods are expected to account for around 30% of total cashless transactions, while traditional payment methods will continue to make up the remaining 70%. This trend points to a significant shift in how we conduct financial transactions and sheds light on the growing importance of digital payment methods in the global economy.

 

Capgemini emphasised that in the coming years, we can expect a sharp increase in the adoption of digital payment methods by both consumers and businesses. This prediction is grounded in several current trends driving the growth of these payment methods.

 

One of the main reasons behind this increase is the growing digitisation of all aspects of our daily lives. With the proliferation of smartphones, tablets, and personal computers, more people are turning to digital solutions for their financial needs. Mobile payments, digital wallets, and banking apps have become integral parts of many consumers’ routines.

 

Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated this change. Fear of contagion has led many consumers to avoid the use of physical cash, driving demand for safer and more convenient digital payment methods. Companies have also quickly adapted to this shift, implementing digital payment systems to meet customer needs.

 

Another important factor to consider is the growing trust of consumers in the security of digital payment methods. Financial technology companies have heavily invested in advanced security measures, such as biometric authentication and cutting-edge encryption, to protect users’ financial data. This has contributed to a decrease in security concerns, encouraging more people to adopt these methods.

 

Furthermore, the expansion of digital payment methods is happening across various sectors. From e-commerce to transportation and entertainment sectors, companies are offering increasingly digital payment options, making these methods even more attractive to consumers.

 

However, it is important to highlight that traditional payment methods still play a vital role in the global economy. Many individuals and businesses still prefer to use physical cash, cheques, and traditional credit cards in various situations. The coexistence of digital and traditional payment methods is an important feature of the current financial landscape.

 

Ultimately, the future of payment methods is shaping up excitingly, with a wide range of options available to meet the needs of consumers and businesses in an increasingly digitised economy. As we approach 2027, it will be interesting to observe how this financial landscape continues to evolve and what innovations emerge to shape the future of digital payments.

 

In summary, Capgemini’s study highlights a clear trend towards greater adoption of digital payment methods in the coming years. However, traditional payment methods are not destined to disappear, and the coexistence of both forms of payment is likely to be the norm for some time. As digital options become safer and more convenient, it is natural to expect more people to adopt them, but the choice between digital and traditional methods will continue to be a personal and contextual matter.